Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ten Items I Love to Eat!

Lest you think I shun all foods that are deemed to be healthy; here are some that I really do like!


  1. popcorn - I have a popcorn popper and will pop enough to fill two gallon size bags.  I do put two tablespoons of butter because...well...life is too short for dry popcorn.  I eat this during the week at school for a mid-afternoon snack; along with a low sodium V-8.  Popcorn is high in fiber and contains some B vitamins and iron.
  1. nuts - I like to keep plain almonds in a snack bag with me at all times.  Twenty-two almonds a day are perfect for your health.  They are high in potassium and if you have headaches will help that as well.
  1. avocados - I will use this instead of mayo on a sandwich.  I like to eat 1/2 of one at a time, usually just by itself.  Avocados are high in potassium and have the good fat that your body needs. Problem is they are expensive and I have a hard time cutting one at just the right time.
  1. Greek yogurt - Greek yogurt is better than traditional--you just have to watch the sugar.
  1. Cereal - I like Grape Nuts & Shredded Wheat in the mornings.  I will eat a few bites of cereal before I get on the treadmill.  Cereal is loaded with all kinds of vitamins.
  1. Beans - I like beans, dried beans, cooked beans, smashed beans as a dip, ect.  That's all I'll say about the beans.
  1. String Cheese - I like the low fat mozzarella string cheese and while I'm at it also Laughing Cow cheeses.  I will eat these with a few pretzels.
  1. Canadian Bacon - I buy it in bulk at Sams, dice it up, cook it and then place in the freezer.  I sprinkle this on my eggs, pizza, cheese toast, ect.  No fat and very high in protein.
  1. Bananas -I'm not a big fruit fan but will eat sliced banana on a waffle with peanut butter for breakfast.  I also like sliced bananas with milk & sugar, and bananas in shredded wheat.  I have been known to actually just eat a banana, for the sake of eating a banana.  Very high in potassium.
  1. Pizza - I love pizza more than any food item in the world.  Pizza contains all of the major food groups.   I will use a nonfat pita bread, spread with sauce, layer with skim mozzarella cheese (if you keep it to 1/4 cup--that's good), then pile on the veggies along with my Canadian bacon.  This is my favorite breakfast...but like all things good..I don't indulge too much.
Yes, I am aware that everything is numbered one...problems with the spacing bar.  Also, it is very rare that I eat after supper.  I grew up snacking at night but luckily married someone that does not.  Although we have been spotted having popcorn sometimes at night...but rarely.

So there we have it for 2012!  What foods do you love?  Click on the fish, you can feed them with your mouse!

No comments: