Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Charitable Words

Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their deaths they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
2 Samuel 1:23

David was very generous to Saul, his sworn enemy. Saul was his father-in-law, his sovereign, and the anointed of the Lord, and therefore, though he had done him a great deal of wrong, David does not wreak his revenge upon his memory when he is in his grave; but like a good man, and a man of honor (1) He conceals his faults; and, though there was no preventing their appearance in his history, yet they should not appear in this elegy.

Charity teaches us to make the best we can of everybody and to say nothing of those of whom we can say no good, especially when they are gone.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum - Say nothing but good concerning the dead.

We ought to deny ourselves the satisfaction of making personal reflections upon those who have been injurious to us, much more drawing their character thence, as if every man must of necessity be a bad man that has done ill by us.

Let the corrupt part of the memory be buried with the corrupt part of the man--earth to earth, ashes to ashes; let the blemish be hidden and a veil drawn over the deformity. (Matthew Henry)

Saul tormented David and caused him a lot of grief; but when he died David's words didn't reflect personal injury. The concept of being charitable with my words has really taken hold in my heart. This verse aligns with Ephesians 4:29--
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Pulling Back the Curtain: I'm probably the only person who gets excited about spring cleaning--no wait--now it is summer cleaning. I have three weeks and then I am going to back Ohio for another trip before school starts. My prayer this morning was, "Lord, I plan on cleaning the kitchen--but if Your plans are different, show me". Let's see if I can keep my intentions.

2 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

Thanks for the post! :-)

Retta said...

"...but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs..."

And also Prov 16:24... Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones".

I shudder to think how much worse my "words" might have been over the years if I had not tried to be influenced by such verses as these.

After all David went through with Saul, it is amazing how he was still loyal in his words after Saul's death.

Loretta
=^..^=