Monday, June 21, 2010

As The World Turns---BC Style

And her husband went with her along weeping behind her to Bahurim. Then said Abner unto him, go, return. And he returned. 2 Samuel 3:16

Her latter husband was loth to part with her, and followed her weeping--but there was not remedy: he must thank himself; for when he took her he knew that another had a right to her. Usurpers must expect to resign. Let no man therefore set his heart on that to which he is not entitled.

If any disagreement has separated husband and wife, as they expect the blessing of God, let them be reconciled, and come together again: let all former quarrels be forgotten, and let them live together in love, according to God's holy ordinance.
(Matthew Henry)

When Saul was king, he gave his daughter Michal to David as his wife. At a point when Saul was angry with David, he took Michal away and gave her to another man. After Saul's death, David wanted her back with him. Abner went to return her to David and Michal's husband then walked behind her weeping. (Every woman's dream--to have a man weeping behind her due to love)

That's not what caught my attention with this verse; it was the latter part of what Matthew Henry commented on concerning disagreements. Also the fact that we are to expect the blessing of God and if there is discord in our lives--we will not have it.

Pulling Back the Curtain: I was visiting my parents in Ohio for the past two weeks. They live in a world where wireless does not exist, dishes are washed by hand, and only one bathroom. It's funny how fast I slipped back into the routine of my childhood. I spent a lot of time with my grandfather; who is 92 and lives in a nursing home. I would take him meals and eat with him--not rushing just spending time talking and listening. He has an extremely sharp mind and doesn't look his age. My grandfather accepted Christ when he was 87 years of age. I always leave him in prayer and on the last day; he prayed for me. First time I have ever heard my grandfather pray--talk about God's blessings!

2 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

Not really a whole lot going on-- Filled out some apps for a summer job, and just waiting around to hear something back from them. You know, the life of a teacher in the summer! LOL This whole moving transition to a new place, even though I do have family here, has been a little tough, I guess.
How are you doing? :-)

kathryn said...

What a lovely time you must have had...visiting with parents and grandfather. It sounds heavenly. And yes, how easily we fall back into the role of "the children".

Glad you enjoyed the visit, sweetie!