Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fireside Chats

Then went king David in, and sat before the Lord, and he said, Who am I, O Lord God? and what is my house that thou has brought me hitherto? 2 Samuel 7:18

This made me think of the fireside chats that, if my memory serves me correctly, President Roosevelt used to give to the nation. David wanted to build the Lord a temple and he had inquired of Nathan, the prophet, if it was meant to be. Nathan gave him the green light; but later that night the Lord told him differently. After he told David what the Lord had said; David took his reply directly to God.

I read this verse several weeks ago but woke up with it in my mind this morning. The fact that David sat before the Lord, he wasn't in a hurry--he was willing to spend some time. Many times when I'm making decisions, I'll throw up a prayer for guidance and then take off on my own. What has impressed me about David, is the fact that everything he did, he always inquired of God first. The times he didn't and went off on his own, he ended up making things worse for himself.

So light the fire and pull up a chair; be prepared to bring your heart to the Lord and just sit within His presence.

2 comments:

Retta said...

This is so touching... time with God presented as a fireside chat.

I remember going to a church where the preacher used to almost seem mad as he said "you either pray, or God's going to MAKE you pray"... like a threat. It was hurtful to me, and did nothing to foster a love relationship with my God.

After I left there, God graciously taught me about his love and grace. That is what this feels like, a fireside chat with a loving Father.

Thank you for that image.
Loretta
=^..^=

Lori Lynn said...

I tend to do the same thing- I get in a hurry, instead of waiting on God. Thanks for the post!