Friday, January 1, 2010

Life is not Happenstance

happenstance - a chance or accidental happening

I love the book of Ruth; one of my wedding pictures (29 years ago) has our hands on top of the book of Ruth. Little did I know at the time I would be leaving my family and following my husband to Georgia.

And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and she happened to light on a part of the field belonging to Boaz. Ruth 2: 2-3

Matthew Henry:
To her it seemed casual. She knew not whose field it was, nor had she any reason for going to that more than any other, and therefore it is said she happened; but Providence directed her steps to this field. God wisely orders small events; and those that seem altogether contingent serve His own glory and the good of His people. Many a great affair is brought about by a little turn, which seemed fortuitous to us, but was directed by Providence with design.

I love that phrase, "many a great affair is brought about by a little turn." When we pray for God's guidance through-out the day; it is made up of little turns here and there. We can claim His promise:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Pressure off--anxiety lowered--stress gone--I might not understand the road I'm on at times, but I can know that God has the map on this journey; He is my guide.

Happy New Years to all! And thank you for the comments, they enrich my life!

2 comments:

Retta said...

Oh, this is one of my favorite things about God. That He has it all under control, even when I don't understand or see it.
I still remember years ago my then new husband telling me he didn't believe in coincidence. But he DID believe in God-incidence. I never forgot that. :-)
Loretta
=^..^=

kathryn said...

Yes! I DO trust in Him....I know that He'll show us the way...even if I feel like we're heading in the WRONG direction.

What do I know??

Happy Twenty-Ten, sweetie!