Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Orange Truck and A Prayer.....



Went to a girl's weekend in South Carolina on Friday.  Had a fantastic time with my nieces, sister & mother -in - law.  I'm not much of a driver when it comes to getting places.  I literally do not possess any sense of direction thanks to a genetic flaw on my dad's side.

But I can handle this four hour drive because it's a straight shot...literally 85 N going and 85 S coming.  I pull out this morning around 8 and hit the road.  Everything is going great until I get about an hour outside of Atlanta.  All of a sudden cars are stopping and merging into one lane.  There are six police cars sitting at an angle blocking the highway.  All cars have to exit; I briefly thought of making a run for it but decided it would be best to follow the crowd.

No problem...I can actually exit and get back on.  I've done it lots of times; except when I get at the end of the exit ramp, there are four more police cars and they are not letting cars get back onto 85 S.  Nor are they letting cars turn left...all traffic has to turn right.  Now this has suddenly become a problem for me...I have no idea where I am.  This isn't a town; I forgot to look at the exit number when I got off.

Think...think...think...I'll just follow all of the cars.  I mean they were also on 85S so surely they know how to get back on 85S.  So we are driving along for twenty minutes and it's in the country...no towns...no  nothing.  I don't have a clue where I am or where I'm going.  I would love to be able to say that I just stopped and prayed; expecting the Lord to provide a miracle.  Well, that would be in my perfect world; so it didn't happen.

But I was working myself up into a nice anxiety attack.  I called my husband to tell him my problem. As soon as I heard his voice...I melted.. and it was not from passion...I burst into tears.

"Okay...calm down...where are you now?"

"I don't know, I'm just following all of these cars."

"What exit did you get off of?"

"I don't know, I forgot to look."

You get the picture...his advice was to follow the cars and look for a sign.  Not comforting to me but I understood...he was three hours away.  After thirty minutes we all came to a four way stop sign, I say we because by now I have grouped all of the cars into my "let's get through this together" mode.  This is where it gets strange.  The cars started going in different directions...some went straight...some were turning left or right.

"Alright Lord I need help.....what do I do?"

Then my eye catches an orange truck that I remember seeing on 85S; I'll keep my eye on that truck and follow him.  Trucks have to know where they are going.  He makes a left turn and so do I.  Again, we are driving for awhile when suddenly we come to a small town.  We are at a light...it turns green...the truck takes a left...I come up on the light...and it turns red...I went through anyway...I'm sorry, but my ox was in the ditch.  I had to follow the truck which took me right to...........85S.

Finally, back onto the highway---life never felt so good.  Feeling as if I escaped a brush with death, I started to wonder where all of this fear of being lost comes from?  It has to be my parent's fault; I'm thinking at some point in my life I was left somewhere.  Probably wondered around for days trying to find them.  Honestly....some parents!

I looked around for the truck...it was gone!  Did I mention it was bright orange?  I never did see the truck again; maybe the Lord did send me a trucker angel after all.  Life is good and God is the best!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I'm glad you made it home. I have had that happen before too, and the first thing I get out is my map! I try to keep ones in the car of the states I travel in most, but it does always help to know at least the exit number! I really think you should ask my dear "old" brother for a GPS for Christmas. He wouldn't have to use it!!
We did have a good weekend though. Can't wait for next year.