Monday, November 22, 2010

Open or Closed

Positive Thinking Releases the Power of Potential

One of the best stories I know about how positive thinking releases the power of potential took place centuries ago, when many parts of the ancient world were still unsettled.  God promised the people of Israel they would possess a rich and fertile country, known as Canaan.  He didn't promise them they could step across its borders without opposition, but He did promise they would inhabit it.

The Israelites appointed 12 men to go into Canaan to spy out the land and bring back a report.  Upon returning 10 spies admitted the land flowed with milk and honey, and acknowledged that the fruit in Canaan was large and beautiful, but then remarked that the land was full of giants who would be impossible to overcome.  They allowed the presence of the giants to detract from the promises of God.

In contrast, Joshua and Caleb brought back good reports, full of faith and confidence in God, and Caleb spoke up with confidence, saying, "Let us go up at once and posess it; we are well able to conquer it" (Numbers 13:30)  They didn't ignore the challenges, but they did not over-emphasize them-and they were the only two who entered the Promised Land.

Being positive does not mean we deny the existence of difficulty; it means we believe God is greater than our difficulties.  Train your brain to trust and believe God and to think positive thoughts that are based on His word.  Always remember that nothing is impossible with God! (Joyce Meyer-Power Thoughts)

It always gets on my nerves when people will never acknowledge the challenges; so I like this last part.  Just because you are looking at things through God's lenses, you can still acknowledge the difficulties.  But you have to train your brain, it's a process and your thoughts are based on His word--not your own.

Anytime I hear a student say "I can't" this is how I respond:

"Did you hear it?"  "Hear what?"  "I heard a door closing because you said I can't." 

I had one student remark, "Mrs. Holmes! I opened up a door!"

So what will it be today?
Open or Closed


3 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

Great devotional. It is difficult to look on the positive side sometimes. Thank you!

bbubblyb said...

Great post, really good thoughts on positive thinking.

Retta said...

How comical! I thought I already left a comment telling you how much I liked this post, and the quote from Joyce Meyer.

I even talked about it in my post today. Oh well... better late than never. ;-)
Off to Train my brain.
Loretta
=^..^=