Monday, May 17, 2010

Realignment

Yesterday in church one of the elders prayed before the offertory. In his prayer he asked that believers would strive to pursue holiness and not happiness in their lives. I thought about what he prayed and it struck a chord within me.

Our human nature is to pursue our happiness. Happiness means different things to individuals; I'm easy--large pizza-coke equals happiness to me! That's how fleeting it can be; we tend to equate happiness with our circumstances.

But God knows best-and the pursuit of holiness is life changing and everlasting. This is a journey we are not alone in taking; God has promised His grace and strength will always be with us.

I think it's good to stop every now and then and realign your goals; make sure they are in alignment with God's word.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I really enjoyed this blog. I don't have anything wise to say in response, but I just wanted to tell you it spoke to me.

Retta said...

"This is a journey we are not alone in taking; God has promised His grace and strength will always be with us."

If He hadn't promised to be with us, honestly I would have given up a long time ago. It's an amazing thought that the God of the universe cares about an individual... and is tender and patient, will all my goof-ups. I appreciate so much that He is the Rock... we can feel like we have firm footing, and even when we don't understand, we know HE does.

Holiness... if there weren't words around it like grace, love, mercy, tenderness... it would scare me to pieces!

Loretta
=^..^=

Lori Lynn said...

I'm not quite sure what I will be doing when school's out. I know I'm going to stay with my brother and sister-in-law for the summer in the same area where I want to work in. Other than that, I'm not quite sure!